Thursday 14 August 2014

Latitude Young Writers Showcase

July and August have been busy months.... but here I finally am again to write into the void that is Thingsfromtheburrow.

I was very lucky a few weeks ago to win two briefs via IdeasTap - one was to Mouthy Poets event in Nottingham which I was thoroughly looking forward to (I had seen Deborah Stevenson perform a while before at The Gallery Cafe in London) and the other was a slot to perform poetry at Latitude Festival in my home hood Suffolk.
Due to commitments to my day time job (and because its one of my favourite festivals!) I took the brief for Latitude.
It was a tad surreal to be greeted in the woods by a lone golf buggy who drove me off to the performance entrance but once I found my way into Latitude (back entrance of the comedy tent, felt like a VIP) I felt at home straight away. There was the poetry and literature tent, the bridge, the flags, the tree's, the circus tents, the postcard station, the fairy stalls. Where I was performing was right next door to the kids area which I was blown away by - those dinosaur sculptures....

I am so grateful for IdeasTap and Norwich Writers Centre for the opportunity - it was such a fantastic afternoon and evening and to perform alongside other young, local poets was brilliant. Tim Claire was hosting our stage in the woods, of which he did a very fine job - I'm happy my surname brought him such happiness and opportunity to banter with the crowd. I also got the chance to see Deanna Rodgers perform finally - wow, what a poet! If you get the chance, go see go see folks.
I am about to perform poetry (& music) again at Folk East Festival and can't wait - Latitude got me very much into the festival swing with its flowers, words, colours and people.



No comments:

Post a Comment