Tuesday 14 October 2014

Burrow into a Book...

Ipswich Waterstones Book Club


Another Monday evening found me inside Waterstones with fellow members of Book Club. If you live in Ipswich or Suffolk, I would highly recommend you come along, it's a lovely group with wide discussion led by Laura Marshall & Gemma Gooding and did I mention there is always cake, biscuits or both?
It was this Book Club that first introduced me to Neil Gaiman (see previous post.... I absolutely love the man now) and with them I have read two other books and now onto a third.
The last book we recently read was The Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jaaskelainen, In complete honesty, it is the first book I have not finished. I am determined to read it again and review it but I was glad to hear that many of the other Book Club members felt the same as me; highly confused and wishing to speak to the author immediately about various elements of his book, mainly being, the entire plot and whether there actually was one, or if it was simply a catalyst for him to express his opinions on literary criticism within a meta fiction...? I have a feeling that if I had read Finnish folklore I may have more understanding of this story. As I said, I will try again. I should probably say also that at the time I was also reading Adichie's beautiful new book, Americanah, which,I easily immersed myself into and digested like a hungry caterpillar - or should I say, bookworm.

The next book we are reading (very excited to say) is on the shortlist for the Man Booker Prize 2014 (winner is announced tonight!) To Rise Again at a Decent Hour not only has a vibrant, bold design but it confidently states it is the 'Catch-22 of Dentistry' (Stephen Fry you..)





No comments:

Post a Comment